The She Boss - Amara's Story


The She Boss- Amara's Story
By:
Tori Jeanne



Chapter 1- How It all started



   I couldn’t help but be still as the flower petals came down from what seemed like the heavens. A glass was in one hand as the other lightly touched the soft white curtain lining to peer out the window as so many guests flocked amongst each other. It definitely seemed like a beautiful day for an occasion like this. The summer lights pierced the tree branches shining down on each of the tables. 

   So many kids were laughing and running a muck between each table, others were standing and talking as most gathered together to give their heartfelt love and welcome to those that came. Cars were parked to the ends of the streets and so many people were in and out of my place. Photographs were being taken, songs were being sung, it was purely magical and with due diligence, this was the right thing to do for my family. After all being who I was and whom my father was, it was all in the rights of our name to throw such an extravagant family gathering, and we definitely didn’t let it just be something small, it was always grand. And why not.  

    My father, Don Vito S, as most called him, The Boss, was born of Scillian blood. Being full Scillian; it was in my blood to be trouble. As most called me,Trouble, it was only fair for people to fear my name. My father didn’t do all things the traditional way as most Scillian/Italian leaders before him; most would shun a woman in the mafia, but my father was different. Born into blood, having been around too much pain and suffering he wanted my life to be more than just a woman who would get beat around by other big hot shots. 

   My story, as my fathers, is one for the books. I moved from the window and walked confidently out of the study and into the wedding itself, with a little click in my heel as I looked around thanking people as they came close to me to give me a warm welcome in, as one did with my title, and as people came about I couldn't help but think about everything, especially with how I came about in these big shoes I filled.

   Let's start in the beginning and where it all began. My father. I looked over to my father as he smiled, a sight I hadn’t seen in a long time, turning my head to peek out the unique gondola set up for my sister’s wedding; thinking back at the life he endured and where we were now. I stared out into the sun as my sister went on behind me, “now you just need to get married and make babies, get out of the business and stupid nonsense.” I rolled my eyes as I thought back to the stories my father told me as a waiter came over to take my now empty glass of whiskey and he handed me another with my box of cigarettes. My sister always knew how to hit my buttons and triggers even if it was her day, she had no right to say snide remarks. She was lucky it was her day, otherwise I would have slapped her. No one, not even family spoke to a boss like myself the way she just did, I let it slide as people looked to me for what my action would be. Instead I nodded to my guards that I was fine and to let it just go. 

   The stories of my father, as I watched him and mother, flooded my brain as if it was yesterday that he spoke of it the way people did not mock or make any remarks to a boss was just a huge mistake to do. The year was 1930; my father; barley 5, had just witnessed his father be murdered in front of him and his mother for mocking the Don in his small town of Siracusa; at the time this was a huge no no. At just 5, He took a vow of revenge for his family though he may not have understood the big deal he wanted to bring his family name justice. His mother didn’t want to lose her only son, so she went to the Don with my father in toe and begged him to let it slide, that my father was only trying to make up for his family name; he was barely 5. What did a child even know of vengeance? The Don listened closely, more so he was in love with his mother and the real reason for the death was her. The Don  was pleased his mother came to beg, and made a proposition for her. If she wed him and the Don took my father under his wing, it would help forget his father and forget anything happened. The Don had no children and wanted to raise my father as his own, give him a better name. 

    At that moment, my grandmother thought hard. She wanted to spare a good life for her son, and knew if she refused The Don himself she and her son would die a slow painful death; whether  she loved the Don or not. In just mere 3 months time, The Don married her and took on my father, changing his name to Don Vito Sorrento of Siracusa. Though my father kept his promise at heart he knew even that young the best move to make in a chess game is make the enemy believe they are winning, and then cut them at the end with a death mate move that would end in a check mate.. 

    He was 21 when his father, The Don was mysteriously murdered. Taking on the name and vowing to find his killer, people followed him, but it wouldn’t take long for things to catch up. With the fear of things coming to light my father took his bride and took the first boat to the americas. Here he was just a poor italian trying to make it in the big city; but that didn't take long. He gained friendships and helped his own kind out in the “Little” italy of new york, people would stray to him with their problems, especially when it came to the new Don of the americas. He was a ruthless man, taking money from the poor and killing people just for fun; being the Don of Scillian descent and the ways of his step father followed him , he knew this was wrong. He made deals, plans and finally more moves to get the low life of a don out of the americas. This impressed the Italian people, they wanted his protection and in time made him more than he ever was. 

   His life grew, more followers, more people by his side; dealing with legal and illegal things; he tried to stay as straight as he could but it only could go so far before he, himself, became someone he vowed to protect against. He became one of the top bosses, the top, with 5 under him, five families across the states that created one of the biggest mafia families you could imagine. 

   I was born alongside 5 others, mostly girls and a brother who was not someone you’d see taking over the family business. My father had to make the right decision. My brother was too much into the drugs and making his name sour, he needed someone to take on the family name and make it great. 

    So here I was brought up as a son but still a girl. A girl with bigger dreams than marriage and kids, though it was there, my life was danger filled and that's how I liked it for now. The snide remarks my sister made was uncalled for. I wanted the thrill. As my father chuckled at my sister's remarks, I walked over to him , his hands out, “don’t worry daughter, you will find yours and when you do I will stand by you, let her have her day she had no right to say anything. YOu wanted this.” he said. 

      I did want this I thought to myself, since a young age watching my father I grew up in this and wanting to danger. I was his image only in a woman's form. I couldn’t help but laugh, “oh father now who do you think could keep up with these guns,” showing my magnum .429 just one of many I had. I could hear my sister ruffling her dress up stomping over to me,
“Put those away I told you no violence at my fucking wedding.” I threw my hands up my coat then covering my guns and giving a stern look as if I was jamming it down her throat and what I said went even if she was blood and she knew it,* “did I insinuate violence, no so fucking sit down, enjoy this beautiful wedding; who mind you I paid for, and fucking  stop. *my father intervened before my sister started on him as he walked her out and pointed to a singer coming in as she got all excited about it being her best friend, you could’ve predicted he was her husband but no it wasn’t. I rolled my eyes as I sighed and leaned on the rock wall watching all the girls googly eyeing the singer. “Woman” I said as I grabbed a drink and went to the office, as my father understood this just isn't for me. And Rameria was just getting on my last nerves. It was her day, and her day I would not want to ruin but putting her or anyone in place. Instead it was to my study and to my drink to mend things over and just be who I was brought up to be. The boss. 

   




Comments